Thursday, March 11, 2010

Loving Life

     "The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift of life is yours; it is and amazing journey; and you alone are responsible for the quality of it."
                  ~Dan Zadra

     There is no better way to go about life than to love every moment of it, make the best out of it, and enduring through it. This past week I remembered that as I was pondering on the death of a loved one. My great grandma "Grandma G" died on March 4th. I remember everything from that day as if it were yesterday. In December we got a message that Grandma G had a brain tumor and that she would probably last another 2 months. Since then we have been hoping and praying for her to have a quick and painless death. On March 3, Grandma G went to dinner as usual with her friends and suddenly had a seizer. The nurses moved her to her bed and she laid there for the night. My mother told me about her situation that next morning as I went to work. She told me that Grandma was unconscious and it wouldn't be long now. The next thing I got was a text reading, "Grandma's gone. What a blessing. I'm so happy for her! I love you!" I wasn't sure what to think but I know that she is reunited with her husband, daughter, grandson and the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

     At the funeral I was told that I should write down some of my memories of her as a little child. She was a brilliant woman with a clean, tidy house. Everything was in order; toys in the closet, cookies in the cookie jar, this weeks newspaper on a desk right next to her magnifying glass, and not one spot of lint on the floor. One toy that I was very used to playing with was a motor home boat pulled by a string. It sounded like a jack hammer as it was dragged across the floor and had small chairs for the table inside. When she would attend church with us Grandma G would always have a secret stash of mints in her purse in which she would share with all of her grand children. Honestly, I think it was to help us to be quiet. Grandma G also had many talents one of which always lightened my spirits. She was amazing at the piano. Still playing when she was 93 and legally blind. Her songs are embedded in my head.

     Missing her will never stop until we are reunited again but until then I hope to be just like her one day and how she was able to Love and Endure life!

No comments:

Post a Comment